Thursday, December 8, 2016

What are you doing as an English major?

And what on earth are you going to do with that?

The dreaded question I get asked whenever I tell someone I'm an English major. Truth is you can do anything with an English degree as long as you have a plan. You can be a journalist, author, freelance writer, work in publishing, etc.

Me, I'm on the road to being an author. My first book is done and waiting to be self-published next year, and I'm already working on the second and promoting my work though Twitter and Facebook. I made myself clear that I will never be a teacher. Never ever!

Being an English major means you get to read tons of books you wouldn't think of reading and writing papers on them. There's a ton of research involved, so if you major in English, then be ready for that. It's not always going to be fun and games. They are not book reports, either.

When you go into this major (or any), then you must have a plan. What do you see yourself being in a few years? Then major in what takes you to that. This is exactly what I'm doing. I know where I'm heading, and I'm majoring based on that. (No, I will not be homeless.)

Beware of joining me on the English major road: you will get conceding remarks and questions like the one above. Don't let them make you change your major, no way! It's hard, but you'll get there.

Why do I like the major? It's because I love reading books and writing. As an English major, I get to read books that I might not ever find myself. I'd say stick to what you love! If you find yourself in a job you hate, then it's all on you. You have the power to change that. Don't take out your "hating your job" thing on others.