Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Uncle Tom's Cabin - Harriet Beecher Stowe

The first book I read on my Kindle. And also the one that got the slave owners in the South mad. And the main character's name is used as an insult (which was something I never discovered until recently).

If you've never read it before, it's about a black slave, Tom, who was sold "down the river," and another person called Eliza who escaped with her son. It's actually not that bad.

Did you know there was literature written against Uncle Tom? One of those was a book called Aunt Phillis's Cabin? (Which is yet another book on my Kindle I didn't read yet.) That was something I discovered recently as well, and it's shocking! But, hey, that's to be expected when something is put out to the public.

I laugh when I sometimes think of how many books that were hating on such a great work. They lost, and that's a good thing.

Speaking of Eliza escaping, I remember writing a short story in 8th grade about a slave with the same name leaving her old mistress to be free. I don't think I'll ever find the original copy I wrote since it was so long ago, but I might write another version. A better one, now that I'm more experienced.